Thursday, November 26, 2009

ThanksGiving

Today is Thanksgiving. Like many Americans I woke up very early to get the turkey in the oven. I started my day at 5:30. It was quiet this morning as, my wife, Christine got to sleep a little. I am so glad for this because she is eight and a half months pregnant. I was teasing hear that I thought she had the turkey in her belly. She teased me right back. I think it is important in a marraige to have humor with each other. Anyways, I digress. This Thanksgiving my four year old, landon and my six year old, Elizabeth are at their mothers. We are going to pick them up around 4:00 so that is when we will have our thanksgiving dinner as a family. It was 24 years ago today that I had my last dinner with my family in the house I grew up in. The day after Thanksgiving, twenty four years ago, we woke up to smoke in the house. The stove, from cooking turkey the day before, had short circuited and caused the house to burn down. Me, being a typical 17 year old, was devastated at what we had lost. My father was thankful that our family had made it out alive and we were well. It was a lesson that took me some time to learn. It is not our material things that, although nice to have, we should give thanks to god for. We should thank him for our health, freedom, family, to be able to love and be loved, and most importantly for having him. lord, on this day and every day let me thank you for all that you have given me and my family. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Search Engine Submission - AddMe